‘It will not be generating’; Solar energy concerns amidst solar eclipse totality – KOKH FOX25

2 minutes, 41 seconds Read

The first total solar eclipse in decades will reach totality across parts of Oklahoma, but there are some concerns ahead of its impact.

Many folks worry about the impact the solar eclipse will have on solar energy.

Here in Oklahoma, we are not well-saturated in solar energy like some other states, so the impact will be minor.

However, for those homes or companies that do rely on it, they should know when we reach totality in Oklahoma, solar energy will not be generated.

“We really don’t expect the eclipse to have a big impact on solar generation,” Kooney Duncan, General Manager of Choctaw Electric Cooperative, said. “Yes, at that time it will not be generating. Normally, solar generation only generates 29% of the time anyway.”

29% of the time, solar energy generates energy from the sun, the other 71% it is conserving that energy for use.

Therefore, when evaluating the risks of the solar eclipse, the risk to solar energy is at the bottom of the list.

Kooney says one of the biggest concerns during the solar eclipse is congestion in southeast Oklahoma. Choctaw Electric Cooperative expects upwards of 50 thousand tourists if not more, to flood the area.

On top of congestion, another major concern is that folks take preventative measures to avoid temporary or permanent eye damage.

Make sure to swap out your ordinary sunglasses for solar-safe ones.

Though there are some concerns with the astronomical event, there is much more excitement surrounding the event.

There’s practically a watch party in every neighborhood of Green Country:

1. Guthrie Green in Tulsa is hosting a free solar eclipse watch party (glasses will be provided while supplies last) will take place from noon to 3 p.m. at Guthrie Green. Guests can listen to beats by DJ Doc Free, check out Comida Sol Y Vida food truck and learn from various space-themed vendors. Vendors include the Tulsa Air & Space Museum, Exploration Station, the Astronomy Club of Tulsa, Black Space Girl, Magic City Books, Spiritually Boujee Astrology, and 92.9 The River KRQV.

2. Marshall Brewing Co. Eclipse Party is opening the Tap Room at 1 p.m. in advance of the eclipse. A promo said Marshall Brewing will have about 15 glasses for viewing, but feel free to bring your own.

3. Tee Pee Drive-In on Route 66 in Sapulpa is hosting an eclipse event from noon until 3 p.m. “Dark Side of the Moon” will be played as part of a viewing party.

4. Fort Towson is hosting an 1840s Eclipse Watch Party. Go retro and experience an eclipse the way folks did in the 19th century. Visitors can explore the Fort Towson historic site and watch demonstrations by reenactors before witnessing the eclipse in the afternoon.

5. Tenkiller State Park Solar is hosting an eclipse party from the shores of Lake Tenkiller near Vian. The event features crafting activities, refreshments, and more.

6. The Oklahoma Aerospace Institute for Research and Education partners with the Choctaw Nation and NASA for an open-to-the-public total solar eclipse event (eclipse glasses provided) at Choctaw Nation Community Center, 1346 E. Martin Luther King Drive in Broken Bow.

The eclipse’s totality is expected to last from 1:45-1:50 p.m. within the broader range of 12:25-3 p.m.

SIGN UP FOR THE CHANNEL 8 NEWSLETTER

This post was originally published on 3rd party site mentioned in the title of this site

Similar Posts